Bettercare books are designed as turnkey learning programmes, mainly for in-service nurses and midwives. So why are they used so widely as textbooks at universities and colleges? Bettercare books have a few key advantages over traditional textbooks, and these make them excellent student textbooks.
1. Open access: no student should go without
Every Bettercare book is available for free online. While most students prefer to study from a printed book, many simply can’t afford to buy textbooks. Instead, they work through all the content on our website, and use our Learning Station to do their chapter quizzes.
Why do we publish our books online for free?
- Healthcare publishers should not hold life-saving content for ransom. So we don’t sell our content. Instead, we make money when we sell convenience and services, like printed books, ebooks, assessment and facilitation.
- Open projects get better faster, because more people contribute to their development over time, suggesting improvements and finding errors. Many of the contributors to our books have volunteered their resources and expertise because we’re open-access.
- Open projects spread faster. We have to do less marketing, because others share our work. We can build our business around that larger market.
2. Up-to-date information
Our cutting-edge publishing process keeps our books up-to-date. Traditional publishers print thousands of copies to sell over a year or more. They revise their books every three to four years (sometimes just shuffling content to force students to spend money on new editions).
At Bettercare, we can make an update to a book and have that change appear in our online, ebook and print editions in minutes. In areas like HIV care, up-to-date information is critical.
3. Free online self-evaluation
One of the best ways to learn is to check your own knowledge with short quizzes. Anyone can do the quizzes in our books online for free on our Learning Station on a phone, tablet or computer. That kind of instant feedback can dramatically boost a student’s ability to absorb knowledge.
4. Ready for modern tastes: print or ebook
Few debates are as ridiculous as whether print or ebooks are better for learning. Every individual must simply choose for themselves. Our books are all available in print editions and as ebooks.
And if your library wants to put the ebook on their digital access system, we don’t require any bundle purchases or subscriptions – unlike commercial ebook distributors. We keep it simple. Just contact us, and we’ll provide a file for the library’s system at the normal retail price of a single copy.
5. Great for second-language students
Many students struggle to learn in English. Our books have been developed with second-language speakers in mind. This makes our books more effective than almost any imported international textbook.
6. Bonus reason: prep for the real world
Many students leave university with lots of theory and little practice. They’ve learned about sophisticated equipment and complicated protocols and first-world best practice. The real world of healthcare in a developing country can come as a terrible shock.
We’ve worked hard to equip our readers with appropriate knowledge: the most important, practical know-how for providing great patient care in challenging circumstances.
Our guiding principle
We’re different from other publishers because our vision is focused on the impact we have in the world, not on our business. Our vision statement is a personal commitment every team member makes to the world we’re creating: ‘When I go to hospital, I meet empowered nurses who love what they do.’ We hope you’ll help us grow more of them.