Recipes and diets
- Home-made oral rehydration fluid to manage diarrhoea
- Carrot soup for patients with diarrhoea
- The BRATT diet
- The ABC diet
- Sour water for digestive problems
Home-made oral rehydration fluid to manage diarrhoea
- Take 1 litre clean, safe water.
- Add 8 level teaspoons sugar.
- Add 1½ level teaspoons salt.
- Mix well and leave covered in a cool place. Make a fresh solution every day.
- Take 1 litre clean water.
- Add 5 teaspoons sugar.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add some fresh orange juice to taste.
Take 1 or 2 cups of either mixture after every diarrhoea stool.
Carrot soup for patients with diarrhoea
Requires carrots, salt, ground cinnamon, water.
- Chop the carrots finely.
- Steam until soft.
- Mash carrots and add water to make a soup.
- Add a pinch of salt and ground cinnamon to taste.
The BRATT diet
Bananas, rice, apple juice or sauce, toast and tea (herbal). May help to control diarrhoea.
The ABC diet
Apple, banana and carrot. Also good for diarrhoea.
Sour water for digestive problems
Sour water is very good for all digestive problems as it contains friendly flora, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. It helps for oral thrush, diarrhoea, weight gain and ulcers. Any grain (millet, sorghum, rice or barley) can be used.
- Wash the millet (or another grain).
- Soak 1 cup of millet in 3 cups of water (preferably water that has been boiled and cooled).
- Cover tightly and leave for 2 or 3 days. The sour water is ready to drink when it starts to form bubbles. The warmer the weather the sooner it will be ready.
- Strain the water from the millet.
- Store in a cool place or the fridge.
- Drink ½ cup 3 times per day for all digestive problems.
Sour water has a strong smell. For better taste and smell mix it with lemon, fruit juice or spice tea. Do not heat the sour water as this will destroy all the nutrients.
Make a second batch from the same grain as that used for the first batch. After straining off the water for the first batch, add some more cooled boiled water to the left-over grain, cover and leave to soak for one day. A third batch can be made in the same way from the same grain used to make the second batch. After the third batch throw away the used grain away and start again with fresh grain.