Support groups in South Africa
- Adopt A Pink Piggy (APP)
- amaBele Belles
- Breast Cancer Survivor
- BreastSens (BS)
- Breast Health Foundation (BHF)
- Bosom Buddies (BB)
- Campaign for Cancer (C4C)
- The Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA)
- HPCA Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Journey of Hope (JoH)
- Look Good, Feel better (LGFB)
- People Living With Cancer (PLWC)
- Pink Drive (PD)
- Pink Trees for Pauline (PTP)
- Reach for Recovery (RFR)
- Sinomusanothando – Community Development (SCD)
- Wings of Hope (WoH)
Adopt A Pink Piggy (APP)
- Contact: A website-based contact form is used.
- Website: www.adoptapinkpiggy.org.za
This is a fundraising organisation of the Breast Health Foundation (BHF). School children are encouraged to buy a pink plastic piggybank (R10). The piggybank is named and fed in silver and bronze coins. Funds raised go to the BHF to help raise awareness.
- Contact: Michelle Rennie
- Tel: 083 302 2189 or 021 939 7823
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.amabelebelles.co.za
Dragon boat racing club for breast cancer survivors, promoting healthy exercise, improving fitness with the aim of showing that there can be life after cancer.
Breast Cancer Survivor
- Contact: Shirley Rushmere
- Tel: 082 800 4456
- Website: www.breastsens.com
Advocacy group aimed at moving the national dialogue to a patient-sensitive and inclusive cause of disease and cure research paradigm. Working in partnership with the Chris Hani Baragwaneth Hospital’s Breast Care unit to improve the survival rate of women from Soweto. Would like to improve the research base regarding breast cancer within South Africa.
Breast Health Foundation (BHF)
- Contact: Louise Turner
- Tel: 011 482 9492 or 0860 283 343
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.mybreast.org.za
The Breast Health Foundation focuses on a multidisciplinary approach to breast cancer through education. Education covers self-assessment techniques, general information regarding breast cancer and dispelling myths.
Mobile Education Units have been sent around the country in conjunction with Avon Justine.
Awareness campaigns such as ‘Pink Peddlers’ cycling group are used to draw attention to the cause of breast cancer.
Support to survivors of breast cancer is provided through Bosom Buddies.
- Contact: Louisa Mthembu
- Tel: 084 299 6943 or 071 892 9989
- Contact: Philile Dludla
- Tel: 073 282 7273
- Contact: Rosalind Ludolph
- Tel: 071 892 9840 or 083 897 1075
- Email: email@example.com
Bosom Buddies (BB)
- Contact: Louise Turner
- Tel: 011 482 9492 or 0860 283 343
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bosom buddies is a Gauteng support group that aims to redefine the perceptions of breast cancer and promote positive mind set of survival, recovery and quality of life. There are regional branches.
Campaign for Cancer (C4C)
- Contact: Lauren Pretorius
- Tel: 0861 ASK NOW (0861 275 669) or 082 878 1348
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.campaign4cancer.co.za
Campaign for Cancer is a Johannesburg-based advocacy group specialising in giving a voice to patients and those affected by cancer. The practice addresses concerns relating to policy, healthcare costs and delivery. Individual patient needs are addressed. This is performed in conjunction with addressing larger issues by highlighting these cases and lobbying for policy change that will affect all of society.
The Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA)
CANSA is a large well-established NPO with branches throughout South Africa. Research into all forms of cancer backs strong public awareness campaigns. Support is provided and aims to lead the fight against cancer in South Africa. The mission is to be preferred non-profit organisation that enables research, education to the public and provides support for cancer victims.
Tel: 042 727 1010
Tel: 047 532 5525
Tel: 041 373 5157
Tel: 058 303 3522
Tel: 051 444 2580
Tel: 057 353 2112
Tel: 011 869 5644
Tel: 011 648 2340
Tel: 012 329 3036
Tel: 011 935 1295
Tel: 016 423 3506
Tel: 011 760 4087
Tel: 031 205 9525
Parklands Hospital Support Group
- Contact: Bernice de Langristin
- Tel: 031 242 4129 or 031 266 6053 (082 924 3584 after hours)
- Email: email@example.com
Makhula House Interim Home
- Contact: Linda Cipolla
- Tel: 031 205 9525
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 035 772 5699
Tel: 034 315 1751
Tel: 033 342 9837
Tel: 039 682 7680
Tel: 015 297 1268
Tel: 014 594 2424
Tel: 014 717 4741
Tel: 013 741 5441/2
Tel: 013 6565420
Tel: 018 469 1889
Tel: 053 831 2968
Tel: 027 712 2868
Tel: 054 332 4937
Tel: 021 689 5347
Tel: 044 874 4824
Tel: 022 482 1111
Tel: 023 342 7058
HPCA Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Contact: Dr Liz Gwyther
- Tel: 083 651 6294 or 021 531 0277
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.hpca.co.za
The HPCA has been instrumental in establishing a number of palliative care structures across the country. Apart from providing palliative care, HPCA is involved in education of nurses and research into care and cancers. They support an advocacy group. There are a number of affiliated hospices around the country.
Journey of Hope (JoH)
- Contact: Beverley Sterley
- Tel: 082 840 3633
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Website: www.journeyofhope.co.za
A message of hope is carried through education as breast cancer survivors’ travels around the country on motorbikes. The journey takes the form of support for those who have survived, creating friendship bonds with other survivors and education, dispelling myths where possible. Fundraising to aid patients from rural areas who require prosthetics or expanders.
Look Good, Feel better (LGFB)
Look Good, Feel Better is a locally based international NGO focused on promoting the wellbeing of women with cancer. This is achieved through Cosmetics, Toiletry and Fragrance Association (CTFA) to provide free beauty/makeover workshops to cancer patients. Enabling survivors to appear better and thus build confidence.
- Contact: Bev Geleta
- Tel: 082 577 2315
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Dr Ilsa de Wit
- Tel: 082 888 9653
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: Chamaine van Schalkwyk
- Tel: 082 344 6693
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Natalie Orwin
- Tel: 084 564 5200
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: Lesley Tooley or Karen van der Walt
- Tel: 072 675 1168 or 083 286 2268
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Contact: Loren Maguire
- Tel: 082 493 4656
- Contact: Helen Ohlhoff
- Tel: 083 270 7470
People Living With Cancer (PLWC)
- Contact: Linda Greef
- Tel: 0800 033 337 (toll free) or 021 565 0039
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Website: www.plwc.org.za
PLWC is an umbrella organisation responsible for many cancer-related programmes. A synergistic and co-operative management programme assists all projects to run efficiently.
Current projects include the following:
The PLWC Cancer Buddies project
Cancer Buddies is a peer-to-peer support group project of People Living with Cancer. A support network has been established with the aim of providing advice to those living with cancer.
The Patient Empowerment Project and Photovoice Project
The cancer advocacy initiative of PLWC.
Can-Sir – The voice of men with cancer
- Contact: Ismail-Ian Fife, Tina or Tiffany
- Tel: 079 315 8627 or 021 761 6070 or 021 782 9113
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Website: www.can-sir.co.za
Aims to improve the education, primarily surrounding ‘shy’ cancers in men while removing the stigma of cancer. Screening is promoted and support offered to those diagnosed.
Cancer.vive – The cancer awareness and education project
- Contact: Frieda Henning or Marilia van Wyk
- Tel: 082 335 4912 or 044 802 0420
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Website: www.cancervive.org.za
Raise awareness of cancer, focusing on early detection. Education centres on week-long motorbike tours of survivors to rural or remote towns. Links survivors with others through the PLWC framework.
CanSurvive Support Group
Meetings at Hazeldene Hall, Junction Avenue (opposite Netcare Park Lane Hospital), Parktown, Johannesburg; Netcare Pinehaven Hospital, Krugersdorp; Charlotte Maxeke Radiation Dept.; Jabulani
- Chris Olivier: 083 640 4949; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bernice Lass: 083 444 5182; email@example.com
Lend Your Hand – Cancer ambassadors awareness and fundraising project
Fundraising initiative of Cancer Buddies. People are encouraged to purchase a small bracelet with the proceeds going to PLWC to function. This also helps raise awareness of cancer, the different colours of the bracelet denoting varying cancers.
- Contact: Chris Oliver
- Tel: 073 975 1452 or 011 468 1429
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: Jean Robinson
- Tel: 078 727 1078
Pink Drive (PD)
- Contact: Nolene Kotschen
- Tel: 011 998 8022 or 083 460 6146
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.pinkdrive.co.za
PinkDrive focuses on education and screening for breast cancer all round South Africa with the aim of enabling disadvantaged communities access to resources and education. One mobile breast unit and three educational cars are used to facilitate the screening and education.
Pink Trees for Pauline (PTP)
- Contact: Adri van Nieuwenhuizen
- Tel: 082 460 6386
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: pinktrees.co.za
Aims to raise awareness of and funding for breast cancer through the decoration of trees in pink. Fabric to wrap trees in can be bought from PinkTrees. Most of the funds raised are utilised to improve the quality of life of those living with cancer in participating towns.
Reach for Recovery (RFR)
- Contact: Stephanie van Deventer
- Tel: 072 849 2901 or 011 361 4132
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.reach4recovery.org.za
Reach for Recovery (R4R) is a breast-cancer support organisation with a unique focus on breast-cancer support and one of the only organisations that provide a patient support service on a national basis. Well-selected and trained volunteers, who each have experienced the breast-cancer journey, render an emotional care and practical support programme to newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and their families. In some regions a prosthesis service is also provided, and the focus is also on indigent women that cannot afford this service.
- Tel: 011 483 2114 or 072 849 2901
- Meetings: Lifeline offices, 2 The Avenue, Cnr Henrietta Street, Norwood
- Contact: Sandra
- Tel: 083 897 0221
- Tel: 082 212 9933
- Contact: Marika Wade
- Tel: 021 689 5347 or 083 306 1941
- Meetings: CANSA offices, 37A Main Road, Mowbray
- Contact: Jenny Caldwell
- Tel: 072 248 0008
Sinomusanothando – Community Development (SCD)
- Contact: Dr Thandeka Mazibuko
- Tel: 084 311 9230
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Mazibukothandeka@yahoo.com
- Website: www.sntdngo.co.za
Community-based organisation aiming to raise awareness in rural communities. Education is provided to school groups and the community through cancer awareness works walks. Free screening, referral and follow-up for breast, cervix, prostate and HIV-related conditions is preformed by the group.
Wings of Hope (WoH)
A Johannesburg-based support group built up of breast cancer survivors. Public meetings, hospital visits and telephonic support.