From the acclaimed Perinatal Education Programme, Congenital Disorders empowers healthcare workers who look after individuals with birth defects, their families, and women who are at increased risk of having a child with a birth defect. It covers:
- modes of inheritance
- medical genetic counselling
- birth defects due to chromosomal abnormalities
- single gene defects
- teratogens and
- multifactorial inheritance
Congenital Disorders is used in the Genetics Education Programme, which trains healthcare workers in genetic counselling in South Africa.
New edition forthcoming
Congenital Disorders is currently being revised in partnership with Genetic Alliance South Africa.
Join our mailing list here to hear when the new edition is available.
ISBN (print edition): 978-1-920218-41-6
ISBN (PDF edition): 978-1-920218-42-3
ISBN (reflowable edition): 978-1-920218-93-5
About the series editor
A previous head of neonatal medicine at UCT, David Woods consulted to UNICEF and the WHO, and is developing distance-learning courses and innovative, power-free medical devices for health professionals in under-resourced countries.
Acknowledgements for Congenital Disorders
Congenital Disorders has been edited from the Congenital Disorders manual of the Perinatal Education Programme. This learning programme for professionals is developed by the Perinatal Education Trust and funded by Eduhealthcare. The March of Dimes, through a generous grant to the Southern African Inherited Disorders Association (SAIDA), supported the authors and contributors and the development of the Medical Genetic Education Programme for primary care practitioners, which is based on Congenital Disorders.
We acknowledge all the participants of the Perinatal Education Programme who have made suggestions and offered constructive criticism. It is only through constant feedback from colleagues and participants that the content of the Perinatal Education Programme courses can be improved.
– The authors
Team for Congenital Disorders
- Editor-in-Chief of the Perinatal Education Programme: Prof D L Woods
- Editor of Congenital Disorders: Prof D L Woods
- Authors of Congenital Disorders: Prof A L Christianson, Prof D L Woods, Prof D L
- Viljoen, Dr B Henderson, Ms P Craig
- Contributors to Congenital Disorders: Dr L Bhengu, Mrs N Chabilal, Dr G de Jong,
- Ms M Glass, Dr B Henderson, Mrs D Lombard, Mrs M Mongo, Mrs L Olivier,
- Dr A Robertson, Ms S Walters, Mrs T Wessels, Prof W Winship
- Selected photographs: Prof W Winship